The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Virginia City, Montana



A picture of the Wells Fargo Office in Virginia City, Montana (JP, this one's for you). 

In the fall of 2011, one of the places that I visited in Montana was Virginia City which is a working ghost town. That means the buildings are preserved as they once were over one hundred years ago when the town was bustling but the town still has an active government. In fact, it is the county seat of Madison County, Montana. 

As I walked the streets, I marveled at the richness and diversity of the town buildings. Although the purpose of some buildings has changed, such as the Wells Fargo & Co. Overland Mail and Express Office is now a restaurant, most, if not all of Virginia City's buildings are in a historic district and listed in the National Register of Historic Places. 

To learn more about Virginia City, click on the following link:


Please take the time to view the video, Virginia City...Where History Lives. As I watched it, I saw historic photos taken over one-hundred years ago of people standing in front of the exact same buildings I walked past during my visit. It's a breath of Americana that you won't regret witnessing.


Here are a few more of my Virginia City photos:


1 comment:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

I would have loved to see those old building and walked there...just imagine what and who was there so long ago!!!!...:)JP