The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 14, 2009

CAPA-U

Last Saturday, May 9th I attended CAPA-U at Hartford Steam Boiler. I was very nervous. For those of you who know me, I usually stay within my comfort zone and when I leave it, I'm usually with my wife and I lean on her for support. However, I did go to CAPA-U by myself. I drove around State Street and Columbus Blvd a few times because I could not locate the parking garage. I did find it and when I reached where the conference was held, I saw another member named Bruce. He has been so kind to me as a new member and probably more kind than he realizes. Anyway, Gina Barreca gave the keynote address which was humorous in Gina's own irreverent style. I first attended a mystery writers workshop hosted by Nikko and Jim McGoldrick. I found them to be very down to earth, easy to speak with, and extremely knowledgeable about their craft. Then I had my meeting with New York agent Jennifer DeChiara. She was very helpful and took my query letter and the first fifty pages of 'The Killing Zone'. She promised to read it and will get back to me. Then I attended a fantasy writer's workshop with MJ Allaire. I still have the first few chapters of a medieval novel that I've always wanted to finish. Maybe someday under a pen name, of course. Finally, I attended a memoir workshop with Howard Layton. Let me make this perfectly clear, I do not intend to write my memoir . . . at least not until I've sold my first million copies of my novels. I attended the memoir workshop because what I read of Mr. Layton seemed so fascinating. He is 90 and is currently working on the final book of his trilogy memoir. He was an RAF pilot in WW2, an actor on the British stage after the war, was presented to Queen Mary, and played Robert Taylor's double opposite Elizabeth Taylor in the movie, 'The Conspirator' which I have to purchase as well as his memoirs. Need I say more? Mr. Layton is truly an inspiration to us all. He has lived life well.

No comments: