The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Friday, October 15, 2010

Tomorrow's Powwow

Tomorrow is the 17th annual Wolf Den Powwow in Pomfret, Connecticut. We are planning to attend early and enjoy our time there. I do plan to take pictures and will look for some Native American products (jewelery, prayer mix, sage, fry bread, buffalo burgers, etc.). Last year I purchased a prayer mix, some sage, and a beautiful, hand-made blanket. I am really looking forward to this.

I find that when I am at powwows, I feel most relaxed with the sounds and smells that embrace me there. I often look up at the sky and sense a smile from above guarding us all who are there. In Native American culture no symbol is more important than the circle.

From the shape of the bottom of a tipi, to the shape of a drum to the shape of a dream catcher, they all describe the endless boundary of existence. The meaning of the circle explains everything from the spheres of the sun, planets, and the moon to the circuits of the seasons, to even our own bodies' circulatory system. Everything must return from whence it came. It is the cycle of life and it is expressed most profoundly at a powwow where everything sacred can be found in the circle.

1 comment:

jp@A Green Ridge said...

That post gave me goosebumps! You've never told me that before, have you?