The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Hook

I've come to realize that a hook is needed for each of my novels. Not just any hook but because my novels involve a mixed blood sheriff, his interactions with Native American ancestry, customs, friends and relatives, the hook needs to involve that aspect of his life. In my first novel, Montana Harvest the hook was Alma's path toward becoming a shaman and her life and death utilization of what she had learned. In Mystery at Little Bitterroot, the hook will be a fictionalized legend. It is these hooks that will drive and compel the plot twists that I believe add a sense of mystery to my novels. My intent is to create multifaceted layers to my plots and if I do that the reader should say to themselves at the end of the novel, "Now I know why they did that" or "Now I can see why that happened."

No comments: