The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Friday, April 30, 2010

Light the Lodge Powwow

On April 18, my wife and I attended the Light the Lodge Powwow on the University of Connecticut campus at Dow Field in Storrs, CT. Attached is a link (click on title above) to the UConn newspaper which covered the powwow. One item in the article which many people misinterpret is when a commenter referred to "I just love to see their costumes...". I have been to a few powwows and the ceremonial clothing is specifically referred to as regalia and not costumes. Powwows are deeply religious events to Native Americans and all aspects of the powwows such as the regalia, songs, dances, symbols, and prayers are all to be treated with respect. As an example, in the Catholic religion, I'm sure that many followers would be offended if non-Catholics were to refer to a priest's vestments as costumes.



No comments: