The Jim Buchanan Novels Archive

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Memorable phrases by Native American characters

Ex-con Flathead Member Willie Otaktay:

“There’s a serial killer on the loose. At last count, they’ve found about four or five carved up bodies on the reservation. You best watch yourself.”

“White men can’t track.”

“I grew up on this land. I hunted and fished in the wilderness since I was shoulder-high to my horse. I know this land like the earth on the floor of my grandfather’s tipi.”

"All of us on Mother Earth are cousins. When we all realize this there will be peace among all people,”

“What do you think I did during all that time I spent in prison? I read books.”


Crow Chief Soaring Eagle:

"Little Hawk, the beauty isn't in the beads on your neck, or the pipes we smoke, or the moccasins we wear. The beauty is in the hands that made them."

“You have always been Crow, in your heart and in your spirit ... go the way of the strong; but be wise Little Hawk.”


Flathead Tribal Member Elijah Littletree:

“This is sacred land. The white man killed my people on this ground and now they’ve done it again.”

“Whose government ... the white man’s government?”

“May Creator fill everyone’s lives with blessings and love for all things.”


Son of Elijah, Abraham Littletree:


“They stole the liquor. They thought if they drank it, they would see warriors in the buffalograss.”


Flathead Tribal Police Chief Jacob Stronghorse:

“Hey, you know what I want. We got three dead bodies on reservation land.”

“Pleasant words won’t stop a warrant. You need to decide what you’re going to do.”

“I can delay them with a few tricks. The white man’s law is full of loopholes.”



Flathead Tribal Member Miss Martin:


“Do you men have passports to visit Turtle Island?”


Acaraho Eaglefeather:

“If you’re going to Billings with me, put your flint knife in the trunk too. You’ll scare the white folk crazy carrying that thing around.”

"Éše'he ... Evoohta ... Taa'é-eše'he ... Enemene ... Enoohta.” (translation: "By the sun I will see you ... by the moon I will sing to you ... until I leave.”)


County Coroner Wisdom Redsky:

“You think all Natives are the same ... my people are Lakota not Crow.”

“Wakan Tanka, unshimalam ye oyate.” (translation: “Great Spirit, have mercy on me.”)

“Our brains are for thinking and sometimes worry too much about our age. Our hearts are for blood flow, let the love rush from your heart and follow where it leads you.”

No comments: